The tunnel was inspected by Colonel Yorke for the Board of Trade on 14th July 1899. Pleasing in design, both portals are built in limestone and feature buttresses either side of the entrance. Incorporated into the parapet at the west end is an 1897 datestone.
Here, curved wingwalls appeared to embrace the sidings which ran up to them, terminating at concrete buffer blocks. A second siding approached the tunnel on a raised concrete platform, effectively blocking the northern half of the entrance. Mapping evidence suggests this was possibly built in the 1920s.
Official closure came on 5th May 1975