The factory was built between 1945 and 1948. The grade II listed building was designed by Sir Percy Thomas and Son, and the client was British Nylon Spinners, a joint venture of ICI Ltd and Courtaulds Ltd. When completed, the site had: a production plant, a doctors' surgery, a building devoted to testing and developing the products to support their successful use by customers, an administration block and a Research and Development block.
Around 1960 a clubhouse was built across the road with a huge ballroom used for concerts with big bands and films and parties. The factory was originally the source of all nylon yarn produced in Britain with around 5,000 people working there. It ceased production in 1988.