Hafodyrynys Colliery was located east of the village. The mine was actively worked from 1914 until 1966. It was redeveloped by the NCB in the 1950s, including the creation of new drifts.
However, it never fully lived up to production expectations. Today the remains of the washery are a listed building and mark the site of the mine. The mine continued to process coal from other collieries linked underground following its closure.