The Bath and Portland Stone company started quarrying Bath stone in 1890. Quarrying stop in 1912 and the quarry had very little use since this date. Along with the rest of the Corsham quarries, it was requisitioned by the War Department during the Second World War.
Sands joins to the lower part of Spring Quarry which was at the time an underground aircraft factory. Reflected arch ways and torch points were installed leading people, in an emergency to the surface.